What is Advance Parole and How Can It Help You?

Have you ever wanted to travel abroad while your immigration application is in progress? Advance Parole is a travel document that can help you do just that.

Advance Parole, also known as Form I-512, is a document issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that grants parole status and permission to re-enter the US to certain non-citizens who are in the process of applying for a change of immigration status.

To know more about Advance Parole, we will discuss who qualifies for it, what the benefits are, and how to obtain this document.

So, let’s begin.

Who Qualifies for Advance Parole?

People who have an application pending with the USCIS, such as an adjustment of status or a refugee/asylee relative petition, may apply for Advance Parole. Those who are in the United States on certain nonimmigrant visas may also be eligible to obtain this document.

When you obtain Advance Parole, you can travel to other countries and re-enter the US without having to apply for permission or a visa. This is especially helpful if your current visa has expired or if you are not eligible for a different type of visa.

What Are the Benefits of Advance Parole?

Advance Parole has several benefits for those with pending immigration applications. One major benefit is that it allows the applicant to travel abroad and re-enter the US without having their application considered abandoned. This means that even if you leave the US, your application will still be in progress when you return.

Advance Parole also allows individuals to return to the US without needing a visa or any other travel document. This is especially helpful for those who are not eligible for a different visa since Advance Parole can be obtained in most cases. Additionally, obtaining this document does not affect the individual’s immigration status, so the applicant can remain in the US even if their advance parole document has expired.

How to Obtain Advance Parole?

To obtain this document, applicants must file Form I-512 with the USCIS. Along with the form, applicants must also submit a recent passport-sized photograph, evidence of their pending application, and any other documents required by the USCIS.

Once the form is approved, applicants can then travel abroad and re-enter the US as long as their Advance Parole document is valid. However, it is important to note that even if an applicant has obtained this document, they are still subject to inspection at any port of entry by a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer.

Understanding Your Rights Under Advance Parole

Overall, Advance Parole allows those with pending immigration applications to travel abroad and re-enter the US without having their application considered abandoned. It is essential for those seeking this document to comprehend its rights and restrictions so that they can properly take advantage of it.

One of the most important things to remember is that Advance Parole does not guarantee admission into the US. At any port of entry, a CBP officer still has the right to deny entry if they believe that an applicant is inadmissible in some way.

It is also important to understand that Advance Parole can only be used once and for a single period of travel. If an applicant wishes to re-enter the US more than once, they must obtain another form I-512.

Finally, Advance Parole cannot be used to extend the duration of stay in the US; if an individual overstays their authorized period of stay in the US while on Advance Parole, they can be subject to deportation.

Advance Parole is a valuable document for those with pending immigration applications who wish to travel abroad and re-enter the US without having their application considered abandoned. However, it is important to understand the rights and restrictions that come along with this document before applying for or using it. Knowing these things can help ensure that you are properly taking advantage of Advance Parole and not putting yourself at risk of being denied entry or deported from the US.

Recommended Articles